The Mesdames of Mayhem are delighted to announce a crime fiction short story contest for Canadian writers previously unpublished in the genre. The winning story will be included in our third anthology, 13 Claws, to be published in 2017.
Many of the Mesdames teach creative writing. We also give many talks about the how-to’s of writing crime fiction. We love meeting readers – and often our readers are writers, too. Our contest is our way of encouraging new writers.
Judging of the submitted stories will be done blind by a committee. All personal identifiers must be removed from the header, footer and body of the story submission.
The detailed rules of submission are below. They will also be on a page on this website. Do check back regularly for updates.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for all questions related to this contest.
Rules of Submission:
- The story must be about a crime, either solving it or trying to prevent it from happening.
- An animal must be central to the story. Any animal is allowed: for example, a cat, dog, rabbit, bear, snake, even a dragon or other mythical beast. The writer’s imagination is the only limit. The animal must be a main character or pivotal to the plot. In other words, if the animal was taken out, there would be no story.
- Writers must not have had a work of prose crime fiction published (i.e. short story, novella or novel) in either print or electronic form. Writers whose stories appear on their own personal blog(s) and writers who have had poetry or non-fiction newspaper or magazine articles or non-fiction books about crime are allowed to submit a story for this contest.
- Writers must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident in Canada.
- The story length should be between 2000 and 5000 words.
- A maximum of two submissions per writer
- Formatting requirements:
- No personal identifiers anywhere in the header, footer or body of the story
- Include the story title and page number in the document header
- Story file in .rtf format, double-spaced, Times New Roman (12 point) or similar, 1” margins and please, no unusual formatting.
- Each submission must include a title page with the story title, name of the author and the word count of the story.
- Deadline for submission: March 15, 2017. All submissions must be electronic and sent to email@example.com.
- The contest judges reserve the right to name more than one winner. They also have the right to not declare a winner if none of the entries meet a standard suitable for publication in the anthology.
- The winning author(s) must be prepared to sign a contract with Carrick Publishing.
- Royalties will be shared equally between all contributors to the anthology after the publisher’s expenses are recovered and a portion of the proceeds are donated to the Toronto Humane Society.
- GOOD LUCK! After all, thirteen is the Mesdames’ lucky number.